Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Burn Baby Burn!

Ha....I'm getting bolder and bolder. It wasn't enough for me to just get back into melting wax, not to mention the blow torch.

My latest caper...burning shellac. Yep, that same shellac that used as a finish for wood floors, furniture and the like. Yep the same shellac that says, usually in bold letters, "FLAMMABLE!" Yep that same shellac, I am intentionally setting on fire.

I love texture and random patterns, so I couldn't help but to fall in love with this process. I used some of my "cough cough" not so visually appealing 1st encaustic paintings to test this process on. Wow...who knew a little fire could make something so ugly so beautiful.

I don't have pics of the originals...again, some ugliness should never be recorded, but here is one of the pieces after the shellac burn has been done.

This was the 1st burn that was done. I'ts ok, but I decided to experiment and add another layer in different colors.



After the second layer was done. Marvelous, it I do say so myself.





I've also made my Youtube debut with a quick shellac burn demo.

No comments:

Post a Comment