Tuesday, March 31, 2009

And I fall deeper and deeper in love with hot wax



After spending time over a hot stove making up my encaustic medium, I was ready to jump in and begin making encaustic paint (pigmented encaustic medium).


In researching, I found that some things a no-no for encaustic painting. Acrylics and other water-based medium will cause the medium to remain soft. As will certain oils. so fare I have experimented with oil paints (however they must be leeched of their oils), oil pastels, oil bars or stick and powdered pigments.

My first experiment was with leeched oil paints.

On gesso board (won't be using in the future since acrylic gesso is not a good ground for encaustics

However on my first try, I did not leech the paints long enough and ended up with somewhat soft medium. Plus the first try left a lot to be desired.


My next try was with oil pastels. I was much more satisfied with the hardness of the medium.

On gesso board (won't be using in the future since acrylic gesso is not a good ground for encaustics


I added mica powders to the surface to for the shine. However I hit it with the heat gun too long and it the wax moved too much and marbled. It's still nice, but I've got to learn more control of the heat gun.

On gesso board (won't be using in the future since acrylic gesso is not a good ground for encaustics)


I decided that I wanted some richer deeper colors, so I picked up some better quality oil pastels. The difference is very apparent.



On whiteboard panel


This is probably my favorite so far. I used more control in brushing the wax on and had better control with the heat gun.

On whiteboard panel

No comments:

Post a Comment